Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer Events

late June
It was Mr. J's birthday! This is the card I made for him. I basically followed a card I found in the summer issue of Paper Creations magazine, using the materials I had at hand and a little bit more I bought at Jo-Ann. I think it came out fitting to a summer birthday, didn't it?

The original card had a heart charm at the center of the scallop. But I found these charms with inspirational words at Jo-Ann, and thought "knowledge" was appropriate for Mr. J's goal this year, so that's what I chose. He liked it a lot :)

His "birthday pie", vegan coconut and cookies & cream no-bake pie. The coconut cream was so soft and silky, I loved the texture a lot. I thought it tasted better a day or two days later.

July 4th
Happy Birthday America!
We went to my in-laws' to watch fireworks. This was little J's first 4th of July, and a neighbor brought this 4th of July pinwheel for him Isn't that cute?
Check out Mochi, who's peeking in the background lol
At first, he was mesmerized by the twirling pinwheel, but then a few seconds later he got scared :( A lot of new experiences over the 4th of July weekend probably overstimulated him a bit. He enjoyed the fireworks, though. It was too loud to watch it outside, but he enjoyed seeing the colorful lights and booms through the window.

July 7th
On July 7th we celebrate Tanabata in Japan. This is the day when the deities Orihime and Hikoboshi, who are lovers but separated by the Milky Way, are allowed to meet once a year. It represents the day their wishes come true. So we celebrate the day by making wishes.

I made a few pieces of paper that's 2" x 9", and we wrote our wishes on them - one for each of us and one for the family. Then those were hung on our (fake) bamboo tree. A real bamboo branch is used traditionally but we already happen to have this bamboo tree at home, so we use this instead. We could also hang other paper decorations like stars but we were too tired from the 4th of July trip so just made wishes. Maybe next year I can show you more decorations. It's a bit like a Christmas tree, isn't it? In the meantime, I hope our wishes come true! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment